QV1 Earth hour – 2016
saturday, 19 march 2016
On Saturday, 19 March 2016 from 8.30pm to 9.30pm, QV1 and its tenants switched off all its lights for Earth Hour; a global effort to reduce the world’s environmental footprint by turning off all non-essential lights and equipment.
A huge thank you to all of our tenants who supported this initiative. With everyone's combined efforts, QV1 was able to reduce the total building load by over 100 thousand watts. To put this into perspective, each tenancy light fitting consumes between 30 and 50 watts, this equates to switching off a total over 2,500 lights in the building!
Besides the energy savings from tenancy and base building, the environmental benefit from the one hour event resulted in saving over 78kg of carbon dioxide emissions. This is an extremely positive outcome that all of our tenants and building occupants should be proud of.
In light of this success, we strongly encourage all tenants to continue the fabulous work and strive to make a permanent commitment to saving energy and reducing their environmental footprint each day. If we can achieve these savings on a one-off basis, why not every day?
Please see our tips below on how you can continue this wonderful work and reduce your environmental footprint:
- If you are the last person to leave the floor, please switch off ALL of the lights.
- Turn off your computer and monitor at the end of each day.
- Use the correct recycling bins when disposing of materials. QV1 can supply additional recycling and waste bins if required.
- Use a resuable coffee cup and reusable drink bottle instead of takeaway cups and plastic bottles
- Set your printer defaults to print double sided and select on sided printing only when required
- Think before you print - do you really need a hard copy?
- Reduce font size to decrease the amount of paper required
- Print only the pages you need by selecting the required area
- Always use carbon-neutral paper